Modular assets for level design

Want to help out with the project? Come here to tell us how you can contribute.

Moderator: >>GameHacKeR<<

Modular assets for level design

Postby Reinchard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm

I decide to play with some simple lowpoly modules. For now I have few variations of module based on brown texture and floor. All modules are tileable, so they can be used to build levels in simply way with little more complex architecture, but still with Doom simplicity feeling in it. 
Reinchard

Re: Modular assets for level design

Postby WatsonJack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:42 am

Hello there, nice design! Waiting for next modules design. Thanks.
WatsonJack

Postby >>GameHacKeR<< » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Heya reinchard the modular design looks awesome, I haven't really tried modular design out yet, At least not in idtech4.
I'm having trouble getting static models into the engine at the moment from tea monster, I have finely got his tree into the game rescaled the size in 3ds max, But may need to edit uv's and reapply the texture.
Each piece may need to go through the same process to get it all in idtech4
What tools are you using to make your models? max or blender
The reason I ask is because your probably going to need exporter plugins :(
.ase will probably work fine with the with the models and textures applied to them :D since they'll be completely static, And the texture types supported for .ase is defuse normal & specular I believe

Also welcome WatsonJack :D
>>GameHacKeR<<

Postby Reinchard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 am

Currently Maya and 3ds Max. Some time ago I was exporting some static models from 3ds Max to .ase and tey working well in engine, so I think it shouldn't be difficult. The main problem with materials in this engine is that they not support glossines map. I remember once I read somewhere that there is some way to implement gloss, so if someone know how to do it let me know. Currently working on more brown moduls, some floors/ceils and some sci-fi bridge stuff to connect some modules together. If we have all modules exported to pack the whole mapping process will be much faster and easier.
Reinchard

Postby Reinchard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Here's progress of my modular assets. As I said before I want to achieve some good balance between classic Doom simplicity and little more advenced architecture, but not as detailed as Doom 3 or Doom 2016. As always I test my stuff on CryEngine and UE, so this modules can be used for environment map for more advenced engines and of course in Doom Reborn mod. 
Reinchard

Postby >>GameHacKeR<< » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Heya that's awesome :) Where you by any chance inspired by the fallout 4 modular design presentation at gdc this year :D

I'd really like to see a proof of concept in the idtech4 engine, because the only way I think you'll be able to get the levels to compile in the end is to encase the whole level in a box, This is because the editor only offers a bsp compile process, which will detect leaks all over the place. bsp walls etc are supposed to be used to block out designs and fill in chunks of certain areas with modular assets,
All the idtech4 major releases did have modular designs in them, but what your going for there is a fully modular level design.

The dark mod has alot of support for modular designs because they did ALOT of programming work to the editor to support it, so much so that they really needed to release level design videos to teach people how to makes levels for there game.

You should defiantly keep up the great work because what your working on is really going to land you a great job somewhere :)
>>GameHacKeR<<

Postby Reinchard » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:16 am

Thanks. I think about using some modules here and there as a decoration in itech4 rether then building whole levels with it. Maybe you can place them as a static .ase mesh near the walls in places where it will be possible? BTW does Doom3 editor support vertex snapping?
Reinchard

Postby Reinchard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 pm

New bigdoor: Image
Reinchard

Postby >>GameHacKeR<< » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Heya Reinchard, The new big door looks awesome :)
and in reply to the other message :)
yeah that's how the modular assets where used in the other games I was talking about. But no vertex snapping isn't a option in idtech4 :(
it'd be so handy if it was, idTech4 actually has it's own quirks you learn to work around when it comes to placing static models in the editor, but i'll not go into detail about it :lol:
But yeah .ase static meshes shouldn't be a problem. :)
Oh another thing I should point out. Once a model is in the game, it can't be scaled, or adjusted in the editor.
If adjusted out side the editor the change will be present in all areas where the asset existed. And doors in doom where different scales and sometimes placed ontop of others doors to create a different height into another room, and even half width in rare area's. :|
>>GameHacKeR<<

Return to Join The Team